Section Annual General Meeting, Cardiff University – April 2023
The IEEE UK and Ireland Section’s 2023 Annual General Meeting was held in the magnificent surroundings of Cardiff University on 28th April. As in the recent past, the meeting was held in a hybrid form with access available via Zoom to accommodate those who were unable to travel, however, more than 30 Officers and Chairs attended in-person, meaning that it was a vibrant and stimulating meeting.
Both ExCOM and Chapter Chairs presented their current activities and plans for the future. Many reported that they were returning to face to face conferences, whilst maintaining an online presence through webinars.
The meeting was delighted to have a talk entitled “Applications of Microwave Resonator Sensors” by Professor Adrian Porch from the School of Engineering, Cardiff University, where he leads the Centre for High Frequency Engineering. He has 34 years of experience in applying microwave methods to measure and understand the fundamental properties of electronic materials, with 165 relevant publications. More recently, he has developed microwave sensors and applicators across different disciplines, including new medical sensors and new methods in electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy.
Prior to the AGM, a considerable amount of work had been done to refresh the leadership of Chapters and ExCom. During the meeting the following new Committee Chairs were ratified:
- IEEE Computer Society: Prof. Caroline Li
- IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society: Dr. Istebreq Saeedi
- IEEE Electron Devices Society: Dr. Radu Sporea
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: Dr. Richard Gault
- IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society: Dr. Sevket Cetinsel
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society: Prof. Andreas Demosthenous
- IEEE Information Theory Society: Dr. Deniz Gundus
- IEEE Power & Energy Society: Eduardo Audiche
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society: Prof. Mary He
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society: Prof. Hujun Yin
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (Ireland): Prof Huiru Zheng
- IEEE Vehicular Technology Society: Dr. Faisal Tariq
The following new Officers were also ratified:
- Section WiE Chair: Dr. Nagham Saeed
- Section Student Activities Chair: Alina Irina Serban
- Section Conference Coordinator: Dr. Ibrahim Kucukdemiral
- Section Assistant Secretary: Dr. Akin Delibasi
- Section Secretary: Dr. Saumya Reni (approved by correspondence post meeting)
The appointment of Alina Irina Serban as Section Student Activities Chair brings to an end the long tenure of Lee Crudgington in this position and to mark the occasion, Lee was presented with a ‘very special mug’ by Section Chair, Professor Izzet Kale.