UK and Ireland Section Invites Applicants to join the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
Role and Duration: IEEE UK and Ireland Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Member; 2 years (extendable)
IEEE UK and Ireland is the largest Section in Region 8 and one of the largest Sections outside the US. Diversity and inclusion are critical to the IEEE and the engineering profession’s success. IEEE UK and Ireland Section 8 formed the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee in 2021, with Dr Vishal Sharma and Dr Salma Al Arefi as the co-chairs.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is expanding and looking for volunteers who are expected to collaborate with Co-chairs and the Section leadership, collect and track diversity metrics and best practices across the IEEE UK and Ireland, and take part of initiatives to enhance the Section’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives.
This Committee aims to:
- Develop and recommend policies and mechanisms to improve diversity and inclusion across Section
- Define, track, and publish diversity metrics, new initiatives, and best practices to highlight efforts and progress around diversity and inclusion happening at the Section level
- Identify appropriate internal and external entities and collaborations that will further support and enhance the Section’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives
- Actively develop a strategy for informing and engaging the Section membership
- Follow IEEE R8 DEI Ad hoc committee and resources
The primary responsibilities of the committee members are:
- Attend meetings at mutually agreed date and time
- Work collaboratively with co-chair to co-create the committee’s DEI initiatives by contributing ideas, participating and where appropriate taking leadership of DEI initiatives
- Take part of the promotion and dissemination of the Committee work across the section
- Report in committee meetings and assisting in DEI events
The role is for an initial two years, which may be extended by mutual agreement. The committee members will be a part of the DEI Group and report to the Co-Chairs of the DEI Committee.
Candidates from industry or academia interested in supporting DEI activities are invited to join in this voluntary activity. Participations from members who identify as disadvantaged, minoritised or/and underrepresented are strongly encouraged.
To apply, please fill in the online short form (2 to 3 minutes) https://forms.office.com/r/kGiayfMgEV or email your details (name, affiliation, contact, webpage, prior experience in DEI (if any)) to the Committee chairs, email@example.com (Vishal) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Salma).
The closing date for this enquiry is March 20, 2022.