IEEE UK and Ireland is the largest Section in Region 8, and one of the largest Sections outside the US. Diversity and inclusion are critical to the success of the IEEE and to the engineering profession. IEEE UK and Ireland Section 8 formed the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee in 2021.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Officer is expected to collaborate with the Section leadership and to collect and track diversity metrics and best practices across the IEEE UK and Ireland.
The aim of this function is to:
- Develop and recommend policies and mechanisms to improve diversity and inclusion across Section
- Define, track, and publish diversity metrics, new initiatives, and best practices to highlight efforts and progress around diversity and inclusion happening at Section level
- Identify appropriate internal and external entities and collaborations that will further support and enhance section’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives
- Actively develop a strategy for informing and engaging the Section membership
- Follow IEEE R8 DEI Ad hoc committee and resources
The primary responsibilities of the role are:
- Attend regular meetings (video-conference and in-person), monthly initially and quarterly later
- Participate in sub-committees as necessary
- Support the Chapters, Affinity Groups and Section Officers as appropriate
- Delegate meeting participation to another Executive Member if unable to attend
- Participate and report in section ExCom meetings
The role is for an initial period of 2 years which may be extended by mutual agreement. The DEI Officer will be an ExCom member and report to the Section Chair.
Candidates from industry or academia with relevant experience of a DEI officer role are invited to join in this voluntary activity. If you are interested please email your CV and a Position Statement to the Section Nomination and Appointment chair – Prof Ali Hessami stating your:
- Background and involvement in IEEE and non-IEEE related activities
- Experience in similar capacity
The closing date for this enquiry is 30th June 2020 (noon). Successful applicants will be notified by the Section Chair – Dr Mona Ghassemian.