Members of the United Kingdom and Ireland Section are invited to stand for election to the position of Section Chair from January 1st 2020 following 2 years as Vice-Chair from January 1st 2018. Full details of the position are given below.
Chair IEEE UK & Ireland Section
- The Section Chair is responsible for leading and managing the Section. The role is substantially about leadership NOT simply managing and chairing meetings.
- The Section Chair will be supported by a team comprising: the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, Past Chair, Treasurer and the Secretaries.
- Authority for managing the Section is vested in the Executive Committee meetings held in the Spring and Autumn of each year. In the interim, management authority is vested in the Section Chair and a team of Officers.
- The Section Chair has the authority to implement the rules prescribed by the IEEE Member & Geographic Activities (MGA).
- The Section Chair will preside over: The Section Annual General Meetings, Extraordinary General Meetings, Chapter Chair (CC) Meetings, Executive Committee (ExCom) Meetings and the bi-annual Keynote lectures. If the Chair is absent, the Vice-Chair will substitute.
- The Section Chair will represent the Section in dealings with IEEE HQ, the IEEE Region 8 and other stakeholders.
- The Section Chair function requires dedication of significant personal time. As a guide, the position requires, on average, the equivalent of at least one full working day per week.
- Volunteering for election as Section Chair requires a commitment to dedicate the time and effort needed to lead and stimulate vitality in delivering a clear service to the members.
- Those volunteering will be screened by the Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Committee to be a demonstrably active volunteer with a track record of events and leadership in an IEEE role.
- Those volunteering for inclusion on the election slate for Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect (to be Chair from 1st Jan 2020 – 31st Dec 2021) must submit a Position Statement describing: (i) credentials, (ii) IEEE activity record, (iii) the vision and action plan as an active volunteer in the role of Section Chair, (iv) commitment to dedicate around 500 hours of personal time to lead the Section.
- The successful candidate will normally serve as Section Vice-Chair for 2 years before taking the position as Section Chair. They will then serve as Section Chair for 2 years followed by Section Past Chair for a further 2 years, ie, a total of 6 years of service.
Applications and position statements should be sent to the Section Secretary before the stated deadline. The successful candidate will be notified two weeks after the closing date.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 03 November, 2017.
Prof A G Hessami