Following the recent ballot, the UK and Ireland Section has appointed Dr Cyril Onwubiko to succeed Professor Anthony Ho as Secretary.
Cyril is Director, Cyber Security Intelligence at Research Series Limited, where he is responsible for directing strategy, IA governance and cyber security. Prior to Research Series, he had worked in the Financial Services, Telecommunication, Health & Government and Public services Sectors. He is experienced in Cyber Situation Awareness, Cyber Security, Security Information and Event Management, Data Fusion, Intrusion Detection Systems and Computer Network Security; and vastly knowledgeable in Information Assurance, Risk Assessment & Project Management.
He holds a PhD in Computer Network Security from Kingston University, London, UK; MSc in Internet Engineering, from University of East London, London, UK, and BSc, first class honours, in Computer Science & Mathematics.
Cyril has authored several books including “Security Framework for Attack Detection in Computer Networks” and “Concepts in Numerical Methods.”, and edited books such as “Situational Awareness in Computer Network Defense: Principles, Methods & Applications”, and conference proceedings such as Cyber Science 2016, and Cyber Science 2015 – International Conference on Cyber Situational Awareness, Data Analytics and Assessment. He has over 30 articles published in leading and most prestigious academic journals and conferences.
In the summer of 2014, Cyril founded the Centre for Multidisciplinary Research, Innovation and Collaboration (C-MRiC), a not for profit and nongovernmental organisation dedicated to the advancement of outstanding research and innovation through collaboration, and dissemination of scientific and industrial contributions through seminars and publications. Its products cover conferences on advanced and emerging aspects of societal issues, ranging from Cyber security to environmental pollution, and from Health IT to Wearable, with the best of breeds of such contributions featuring in notable journal publications. C-MRiC participates, encourages and promotes collaborative and multidisciplinary scientific, industrial and academic inter-workings among individual researchers, scholars, practitioners, members of existing associations, academia, standardisation bodies, and including government departments and agencies (www.c-mric.org).
- Senior Member, IEEE
- Executive Member, IEEE UK and Ireland, Computer Society Chapter
- Member, IEEE Computer Society
- Member, IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Security & Privacy
- Member, IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on the Internet
- Member, IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Intelligent Informatics
- Member, IEEE Young Professionals
- Member, IEEE Big Data Community
- Member, IEEE Green ICT Community
- Member, IEEE Smart Grid Community
IEEE Programme Committee Editorial, Reviews and Chair
Cyril reviews, chairs and edits a number of reputable IEEE conferences and journals, including
- IEEE Security & Privacy
- IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics
- IEEE EUROCON
- IEEE AFRICON
- IEEE Joint Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (JISIC)
- Joint International and European conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics (IEEE ISI & EISIC)
IEEE Volunteer Leadership Training and ‘knowledge of IEEE
Cyril has attended a number of IEEE Volunteer Leadership Program via the IEEE Centre for Leadership Excellence (CLE) in order to better understand IEEE Organisation, Chapters, Section and Activities. These have included:
- Technical Co-Sponsorship – Strategy, Tactics & Best Practices
- Introduction to IEEE Affinity Groups
- Introduction to IEEE EAB
Most recently I have enrolled for the Ethics and Conduct & Communications program.